During the online learning transition among an enormous pool of resources, where does one turn to for the ultimate free learning experience?
What to Look For When Sourcing Free Online Courses
While searching for free online courses, it is easy to get lost in the endless pool of resources.
Therefore, it is crucial to know what you are looking for and where to find it. A few things should spring to mind when on the hunt for free online education.
The main things to look for are:
- Flexibility – are the program timings flexible? Is there a self-paced learning option?
- Variety – are the topics provided relevant? Is there an assortment of topics to choose from?
- Credibility – is the provider well known in the region and beyond? Do they offer certification?
- Certification of Completion – do they offer any certification of completion or designation?
Types of Courses for Online Learning
There are various types of courses pertaining to eLearning, including:
- Interactive online learning - a two-way communication channel between the participants involved.
- Adaptive E-Learning - an innovative way that makes it possible to adapt and customize learning materials individually.
- Fixed learning - includes already made materials for all learners and they do not change through time.
- The most recommended may be collaborative online learning, which has gotten the most buzz due to its fun nature. This way, individuals that have the same goals learn in groups.
- Finally, the individual way of online learning for those who learn at their own pace.
Advantages Of Online Learning
The option to take your learning experience from the classroom to your laptop or mobile phone is mindboggling.
For one, we are not bound to sit and listen for hours at a time. With the opportunity given by online learning, we have everything we need at our fingertips. And the best part? We do not have to leave our room. Not only is online learning accessible, it is also convenient, flexible, cheap and sometimes free.
Knowing that you can learn from your own home without having to leave the house is not only freeing, but also cost-effective and seamless.
Platforms for online learning have been created to make our learning process easier not only on the pockets, but also on the eyes and hands. Downloadable online notes, 24-hour support, online interaction, training videos that are recorded and can be replayed when needed, and assessments that can be taken anytime during the course help individuals learn better and in a quicker manner.
Almost everyone we know has a 9-5 job, which takes up most of the day, making it tough to add in the extra learning hours if travel is required. The hassle-free flexible nature of online learning makes it easy for anyone to get on the learning train, whenever they can.
Finding the Right Free Online Courses
Looking to find courses for free or with a low budget?
Below you can find some of the top-ranked resources available in the Gulf:
Coursera.org is one of the best-ranked providers of MOOCs – massive open online courses. It works with universities and organizations around the globe to bring a wide variety of topics and perspectives to one searchable database, which grants Coursera an extremely wide range of in-depth courses. They provide some certificates of completion for recognition purposes.
Udemy.com is a site that offers free courses similar to those of Courser, but also lets users build custom courses from lessons. Working with many top schools, they blend the customizable platform of other sites with a large importance on top quality content. They offer both free and paid courses.
3. United Arab Emirate University – edX
United Arab Emirate University’s edX free online courses are available in various subjects. United Arab Emirates University offers free courses or students can choose to receive a verified certificate for a small fee. Founded by Harvard and MIT, edX has more than 20 million learners.
4. King Saud University – Saudi Arabia
King Saud University is a public university in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, founded in 1957 by King Saud bin Abdulaziz as Riyadh University, as the first university in the kingdom not dedicated to religious subjects.
5. LEORON Institute – Ta3leem
LEORON Institute, with headquarters in Dubai and offices in KSA, offers free online courses in both English and Arabic through their Ta3leem Online Platform. TA3LEEM e-learning environment fosters your organization’s objectives for the upskilling workforce through unequaled US certified programs. Ta3leem e-learning platform is a user-friendly learning environment, designed to help both you and your organization for success.
All Ta3leem courses can be taken through our own Learning Management System, which comes free of charge. Alternatively, all courses can be dispatched to your LMS.